DRTMC: Disaster Research, Training and Management Centre
Regular occurrence of flooding, riverbank erosion, cyclones, drought, salinity and tidal surge is unique Bangladeshi experience. The country, over the years has gained valuable experience in Disaster Management and has successfully put in place an elaborate disaster response infrastructure that has attracted wide international attention. In order to design appropriate disaster response, the country requires a substantial amount of information collection, processing, analyzing of all types of disasters and archiving.
The Disaster Research Training & Management (DRTMC) at University of Dhaka was established in 1989 to contribute to such information and knowledge creation and archiving requirements. By being an interdisciplinary forum for research into the causes of disaster, the needs created by different disaster, the appropriate response strategies, the effect of the short and the long term disaster upon population, economics and environments and overall managements strategies for different types of disaster the Centre has become an important research focal point.This Center undertakes provides an array of training and extension programs in disaster management, mitigation, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
To provide data for disaster planning and preparedness.
To provide data for responding to acute situation.
To provide data sets for research and to provide appropriate information bases for extension and other training programs and academic curricula.
Training, Workshop and Seminars
DRTMC is interested to initiate wide range of training, workshop and seminar programmes for the teachers, students, researchers, practitioners and administrators to improve their knowledge and skills in disaster management.
Some of the training, workshop and seminar programs organized by the center in the past are as follows:
- Environmental and Social Vulnerabilities and Livelihoods of Fishing Communities in Kutubdia Island, Bangladesh.
- Workshop on Disaster and Disaster Management (Organized jointly by DRTMC, American Institute of Bangladesh Studies and Center for Development Resource in Bangladesh).
- National Seminar on the Issue of TSUNAMI.
- Seminar on International Day for Disaster Reduction (Organized jointly by DRTMC, Islamic Relief Bangladesh and JEISH Foundation).
Research activities are an important component of DRTMC. Some of the research undertaken by the center is as follows:
- Vulnerability Identification and feasible planning for Different Union of Cox’s Bazaar District in Bangladesh (DRTMC).
- Improving Local Capacity to Adapt Safety Net Programs to Climate Change (DRTMC and World Bank).
DRTMC also makes publications. Some of the notable publications of the center are as follows:
- Disaster in Bangladesh (Edited by Nizamuddin, K. 2001).
- Natural Hazards in Bangladesh: Studies in Perception, Impacts and Coping Strategies (Edited by Islam, N. 2005).
“Duryogbarta” is the regular biannual Bangla newsletter published by DRTMC. Each number of “Durjogbarta” focuses on a specific issue. The 19 th edition of “Durjogbarta” is been published in July 2016. For your copy Click here
The center has following facilities:
- Library: There are over 260 disaster related books in the library.
- Seminar Room: DRTMC has a 20 seated seminar room.
The center has designed and implemented a series of short courses dealing with various aspects of disaster forecasting and early warning system, disaster mitigation and management and longer term reconstruction and rehabilitation strategies. The center also addressed the development of appropriate communication strategies for village level self help hazard mitigation activities.
The management council consists of 25 members under the chairmanship of the Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr. A A M S Arefin Siddique. Professor Dr. Hafiza Khatun from the Department of Geography and Environment, University of Dhaka is the present Director of the center.
Visit http://drtmc-du.org/ for details.